I started my natural hair journey in 1999. I ignored my mother who was not happy with the idea (I remember that term pickaninny) and a supervisor who told me to reconsider the decision because it could affect my career plans. I wanted Sisterlocks; I even used the SL idea of keeping your permed hair and working on the new growth. It took several months of two-strand twisting my new growth and curling my loose permed ends (trimming monthly) before I had a thick full head of all natural hair. The first time, I two-strand twisted all-natural hair I was amazed. I loved the texture and it actually curled on rollers. My mother changed her tune. She was surprised that my natural hair could look so lush. SL got put on hold.
In 2005, I decided I was tired of combing out my hair and twisting. It was probably 12 inches. So, my smartazz, permed all that thick hair. Note: I had a Cosmetology license, although I changed careers and was no longer doing hair. My hair was very close to bra strap length once it was straightened. I was feeling my new look. After a couple of months, I noticed that the texture was different and not in a good way. I permed my hair in Oct. by Feb.the next year, it was mush. It started breaking in the crown; I had about an inch of hair in the top of my hair. The spot started getting larger and my hair was in the sink, on the floor, here, there, everywhere.
I purchased my first wig, in 2006.
I had no one to blame but myself. Once my hair got a little more length, I got it braided a few times. Then it was back to wigs; I cut off the perm because there was no reason to hold on to it, plus the wigs fit better without the extra hair.
I made a new commitment to return to my natural state. I added the poem below to my vision board.
| Pressed out June 2007 |
By 2008 , I had enough hair to feel comfortable with two-strand twists again.
| Feb 2008 |
| April 2008 Pressed out |
| Sept 2009 |
In Sept 2009, I finally decided to get my Sisterlocks, better late than never.
| Nov 2009 |
That creamy crack was no joke, I'm celebrating 6 years of recovery now. Even if I decide to change from locs, creamy crack is not an option.
| May 2012 |



What a wonderful journey, we all come home to ourselves in the end. Your hair looks really great x
ReplyDeleteThank you so much. It is wonderful to be home. I continue to be amazed by the things that our natural hair can do.
ReplyDelete